Friday, February 4, 2011

Traffic Blues? - Learn to fly.

I live in Los Angeles, best place to live in world, worst traffic in the known universe! Having been here for over 10 years my honeymoon period is truly over, now me and LA are having a deep meaningful love affair, but did I mention the traffic SUCKS! It's this fact more often than not that persuaded me and the family to stay local at weekends rather than opt for a weekend getaway or trip up to the mountains for a bit of snowboarding. My last road trip to the local mountains which should only be 2 hours away took me 5 hours in traffic each way! I had 10 hours of driving for 3 hours on the slopes.

The first time I flew to the local mountains it took me 45mins (@120kts) and I literally didn't believe I had arrived already. My little single engine plane had turned into a time machine. I'd finished work on a Friday drove straight to my local airport Torrance (KTOA) and I'd arrived in Big Bear in the time it can take me to go 6 miles on the 405.

From that point on there was no stopping me, Vegas for a $2000 hamburger ($300 on fuel and a few bad beats at the tables), Oceano which is about the prettiest airport in SoCal, Catalina, Mammoth and beyond! No longer would I be beaten down and penned in by the LA Traffic, my horizon's have been opened sky wide.

PS If your significant other is cramping your style then the Napa Vineyards or Ontario Outlets are also a lot closer when you have wings!

DP

230 Instrument Pilot.

No comments:

Post a Comment