Friday, February 4, 2011

Benefits of learning to fly with a buddy.

I've often wished I had a friend.

PS: When I said I wished I had a friend I mean I wished I had a buddy who shared my love of flying and was more or less at the same level as me. The reason being there are many benefits of learning to fly in pairs:

1) More time in the air - sitting in the back seats while your friend takes the controls will give you more time in the air to hear calls and learn by osmosis.

2) Sharing the fun - sharing the challenges helps you realize you are not alone, you're not the only person that fumbles at the controls or has trouble correlating their knowledge.

3) A study partner - Learning to fly means hitting the books in preparation for your written and oral tests a study partner will certainly make this easier.

4) Mutual inspiration - Flying can be costly, challenging and involves lots of your free time. There's 3 reasons you'll need a friend to keep you excited and engaged.

5) Share costs - Once you pass you can share flight costs, choose destinations of mutual interest, perhaps even split a plane together. Longer cross countries are less daunting when you have 2 people to share the burden.

6) Different strokes - Different people pick up different aspects of the sport quicker than others. Some people might take to the science, others make take to the hands on stick and rudder skills etc. Having a buddy going through the journey with you will be mean there is another person who can offer you advice in addition to your instructor.

It's something to think about, but if you are like me and don't have a buddy in the same "boat" then don't let that stop you!

Blue skies!


DP

230 Instrument Pilot.

No comments:

Post a Comment